Wednesday, August 31, 2005

In The City

This is a record that I've had for a while but I never listen to it all that much. I don't know why because it's a pretty good 45.

The band tried to bribe Peter Buck but into producing the record but things didn't go as planned:

"Those guys just showed up on my porch one day. They brought a six-pack of Budweiser. I wasn't there, so they drank it and left the empties and a note: "We're Woofing Cookies. We'd like you to produce our record." I was like, OK. We went in the studio and did it in about four hours. They were nice kids. Really young, like 19. I was pretty young, and they seemed a lot younger than me." - Peter Buck

So it turned out OK, Woofing Cookies got Buck to produce the A-side and they got to drink the beer too. The band produced the flip themselves.

The single came out in '85 on Midnight Records, there was an LP too but I never got around to getting that.

Len Vlahos, the Woofing Cookies guitar player, is now a muckety-muck at BookSense.com so think about Len next time you buy a book from an independent dealer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Midnight Records LP sampler. Woofing Cookies isn't on it, but one track by a group is produced by Mike Mills, and another by a different group sports a Stipe production credit. There's also a cut by Mercyland, Dave "Sugar" Barbe's band (this LP was released in 1985, a good seven years before Sugar existed).

Interestingly enough, one other cut on this record (a fourth band; this is a "various artists" sampler) was produced by David Lindsey, the Creative Loafing music critic somewhat notorious for really loathing R.E.M. for many years.

2/9/05 11:58 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Is that the MAKE THIS CITY GROVEL IN THE DUST record?

The best thing Mercyland ever did was the "Black On Black On Black". I'll try to put it up next week.

2/9/05 10:23 PM  
Blogger The FTF said...

I am definitely no muckety-muck, but it sure is fun to think about being one. Yes, this is Len, and yes, I was the guitar player in Woofing Cookies. Turns out a college kid at Amherst recently found our old scratchy LP in a bargain bin, bought it, thought it was funny, and created a MySpace page:

www.myspace.com/woofingcookies

Our bass player, Joe, gave him some additional content once he ran across it... Enjoy, and thanks for thinking of us.... :->

6/3/07 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter