Monday, October 24, 2005

Daddy Rolling Stone

There have been lots of covers of this great Otis Blackwell song, including Johnny Thunders, The Who and Hank Ballard. This is my favorite version of the song. I found the record at a rescue mission here in Huntsville.

Jimmy Ricks was born in Adrien, Georgia in 1924. Ricks spent 10 years singing bass for the Ravens before going solo in 1955. He cut a bunch of solo singles but this is the only one Ricks recorded with a groups called The Raves. "Daddy Rolling Stone" came out on Atco in 1962 with "Homesick” on the b-side. The same year, Atco president Herb Abramson also released the same song with a different song on the flipside on his own Festival label. I don't know which record came out first. Ricks went on to sing with the Count Basie Orchestra. He died in 1974.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great version of one of my favorite songs! I love Jimmy Ricks'voice- check out "I'm The Boss" with LaVern Baker (on Atlantic) for another great example.
As far as "Daddy Rolling Stone" goes, there was a Los angeles mod band on the 80s called The Question who did a really amazing version of the song.

26/10/05 4:25 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Glad you liked it.

What else did The Question do? I remember the name, were they on any comps?

27/10/05 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Question released two three-track singles (don't have them in front of me so I can't tell you the labels; definitely self-released, though). All three tracks from the first single were comped on "This Is Mod, Vol. 6: The U.S. of Mod" on a British label I can't recall right now. They also had two songs on the 80s comp "Warf Rat Tales," which I think I heard may be released on CD soon. The second single (with the cover of "Daddy Rolling Stone") was never comped, at least as far as I know.

28/10/05 4:18 AM  
Blogger KS said...

That's right! They are on WARFRAT TALES. Which has been re-issued with a pile of bonus tracks and I'll get a copy as soon as Sunburst gets it in. It's one of my favorite 80's comps.

I'm still waiting for the Wednesday Week compilation.

28/10/05 8:04 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Here's a link to a page about WARFRAT TALES: http://www.aveburyrecords.com/warfrat/

28/10/05 8:06 AM  
Blogger KS said...

And here's some pictures of The Question?
http://www.aveburyrecords.com/warfrat/WTKRAHshow/thequestion/index.htm

28/10/05 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter