Thursday, October 27, 2005

Time Fades Away

A long time ago, I decided that I would try to find all of Neil Young’s LPs from the Seventies. Used. Under 5 bucks. It only took a few months to find most of the records but there were two albums that were very hard to find. I overpaid for a beat-up copy of JOURNEY THOUGH THE PAST at a flea market. I paid six bucks figuring that was still in my price range and the price was balanced out by my getting copies of ON THE BEACH and LONG MAY YOU RUN for free. I was wrong, JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST stinks and a dollar would have been paying too much.

But that wasn’t the hard one to find. I have never seen a used copy of TIME FADES AWAY. But Dave R. took pity and gave me a copy that he found in a Chattanooga pawn shop back in the early Eighties. Thanks Dave!

TIME FADES AWAY is a great record, one of Neil’s best. Neil Young doesn’t like it, he was going through a very rough patch in his life on the tour when the LP was being recorded. It’s not an era that he wants to revisit – he ignored the whole album when he put DECADE together. Also, the master tapes may not be usable. It’s not (and probably never will be) available on CD. Read more about it here.

This is cool: The cover is printed on reversed black stock and left uncoated. The cover was designed to fade away over time. Despite all that, the cover I have is still in good shape after 30 years, three owners and a pawn shop.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't found a copy of -Journey Through The Past-. Nor have I seen the movie, which I guess is even rarer. Rolling Stone did run a review of the film, so it must have existed...somewhere...


James

1/11/05 12:36 PM  
Blogger KS said...

IMDB.com has it listed. ANd reated kinda high. Maybe some ruties are skewing the vote.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068776/

1/11/05 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time Fades Away was played alot when I was in college in the late 70's. It was hardly rare to hear it wafting from some dormroom or other. Too bad most of us lost the damn thing or wrecked it. I could have had it at one time or another I don't really remember.

2/11/05 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter