Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The magic TL sound

Here's a comp of obscure doo-wop both of you loyal readers. I found MUSIC FOR LOVERS VOL. III at a WLRH record sale back in '93 or '94. I'd only heard one of the records on the LP and it was only a buck so I bought it. What a strange record. Terry Lee introduces the records just like a late night oldies DJ. There's six miles of echo on his voice. I guess Terry Lee also thinks echo is romantic. The songs themselves are mostly great with only a couple of stinkers. The Ordells "Sippin' A Cup Of Coffee" towards the end of side two is a great record. I keep looking for that one on 45 but I haven't found a copy yet.

Terry Lee did not seperate the songs so you're getting the two long files with 6 songs each.

Side 1:
The Sharades - Only A Tear
Scott English - High On A Hill
John Barfield - Mr. Starlight
The Demons - Take Me As I Am
The Brothers Of Soul - Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser
Barbara Mason - Yes, I'm Ready

Side 2:
Chuck Corby - Honey Let Me Stay
The Fascinators - Who Do You Think You Are
The Bob Knight Four - Two Friends
The Ordells - Sippin' A Cup Of Coffee
The Empires - Love You So Bad
Gary Glen - Good Night My Love

This is Volume III, I've never seen any others but I imagine that the used record shops in Pennsylvania have a few copies in stock.

Terry Lee really was a DJ on WMCK/WIXZ in Pittsburgh and had a syndicated oldies show in the eighties. I had never heard of him before I found this record though.

2 Comments:

Blogger theoldroadhog said...

"Guess That Don't Make Me A Loser" is great too.

5/1/08 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are 4 Music for Youg Lovers LP's, Best Of TL Sounds Vol I and 2 others. wixzmemories@yahoo.com will get you to Randy McDaniel. He has connection for CD's that were cleaned up($15)each.

LP was recorded thru guitar echo chamber, a one track tape called Echoplex.

This LP was recorded from a live radio broadcast in WMCK Studios.

phildogg

1/2/08 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter