Monday, April 07, 2008

Put it in a sock

Mary Hunt, Mildred Pratcher, and Shirley Thomas were working as backup vocalists in Memphis when Bill Justis hired them to sing on a song called "Down At Papa Joe’s”. It’s a good Dixieland-ish rock & roll song but I really like the flip side "Rock, Rock, Rock".

Justis called the trio The Dixiebelles and released the record on Sound Stage 7 Records. “Papa Joe’s” was a top 10 hit, another top twenty hit followed and the trio made an LP. I’ve never heard it. Billy Sherrill was the engineer on the sessions.

I’d never heard the Dixiebelles before I got the single but I got it because of the billing on the label. I figured any record that gave credit to Cornbread and Jerry (no last names) was worth hearing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

..how true! I like "rock, rock, rock" so much I believe it should've been the hit song! ( i just obtained this record..
thanks

14/1/09 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Jerry" of Cornbread and Jerry was the pianist and my Father, Jerry Smith, who went on to record many intrumental hits, including "Truck Stop" which crossed over into the Billboard Top 40. He was also a leading Nashville session musician in the 70's and 80's.
SDS

23/12/11 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter