Friday, February 04, 2005

Autosalvage

Another one that I found in the used bin at the local record shop is the one LP released by Autosalvage. It's pretty good especially when you compare it to some of the other records released around the same time. Autosalvage usually kept the songs short so they never got a chance to be boring. Bass player Skip Boone's brother was in the Lovin' Spoonful who would give Autosalvage fuzzboxes that no longer worked. They replaced the batteries and the fuzzboxes were good as new.

Back in the 80's, it seemed like I couldn't go to a used record store without seeing a copy of THE EYES OF THE BEACON STREET UNION in the dollar bin. It's a pretty good record but I think "Now I Taste The Tears" from the second LP was the band's best song. I didn't see as many copies of THE CLOWN DIED IN MARVIN GARDENS back then and I sure don't see any in the bins now.

Both Beacon Street Union records were re-released by Akarma records recently and I think the Autosalvage CD is still available from Acadia records.

Update: John Lincoln Wright, singer for The Beacon Street Union, is "the leading country act in Boston and New England." And Autosalvage's Rick Turner is a famous and well respected luthier. Here's an interesting interview with a short history of his career as a musician.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter