Thursday, August 04, 2005

Always In A Jam

This is a record that I've had for so long that I'm not sure where it came from. I think I picked it up at a flea market in Bristol, Tennessee about 15 years ago. Before the internet came along, I had no clue who Paul Gayten or Oscar Wills were. I checked the books I had and at the library and never found anything about either one. But thanks to the internet, here's what you can learn in five minutes at Wikipedia & Google.

Paul Gayten was a popular & influential band leader in New Orleans. He worked with Annie Laurie, Lee Allen, Hank Mobley, and T.V. Slim, who recorded "Flatfoot Sam" under his real name: Oscar Wills.

This 45 was released on Argo records in 1957. T.V. Slim had already recorded a version of this same song for Cliff Records. Somebody at Argo liked the song but not the recording and sent T.V. Slim back to the studio with Paul Gayten's band to record it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter