Tuesday, September 06, 2005

All my friends are here

In 1975, Alex Chilton took a break from recording Big Star's thrid LP and went to the studios of Memphis radio station WLYX to play a live set. I hope he didn’t drive because he seems to be somewhat impaired, heck he even admits it during the cover of "I Will Always Love You". I wonder what somebody that just turned the radio on thought when they heard this stuff.

Anyway, I think these show will be very interesting for Chilton fans and worth skipping for everyone else. It’s interesting to hear the early versions of songs that ended up on SISTER LOVERS and the selection of cover songs shows that Alex had eclectic taste way back in 1975.

Does anybody know who is playing second guitar and singing?

NOTE: The link is fixed! It looks like yousendit.com won't accept something named "Death Cab For Cutie". Why the fcc not? When I renamed the file to "D C F C" it went through. Are they filtering it because of the name, the band or because they don't like anybody covering the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?

4 Comments:

Blogger KS said...

I don't know why the last link is not working. I'll try to fix it when I get a chance.

7/9/05 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a copy handy, but that Big Star biography just published provides a rundown on who else was at the station with Chilton that day. Off the top of my head, I think the author says that along with Chilton was Stephens, the Aldridge sisters, and three friends of Alex's (presumably one of them is playing the second guitar). I wish I had my copy of the book handy but I'm at work, blah...

9/9/05 10:36 AM  
Blogger ÆSTHETIC PRODUCTIONS said...

oh my gosh i have been looking for this set EVERYWHERE to no avail...

if you could somehow reup it for me or point me in the right direction that would RULE.

thanks.

the.aesthete@gmail.com, or jeffrey.paggi@gmail.com

20/2/08 2:03 AM  
Blogger KS said...

I'll try to post it in a few days.

20/2/08 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter