Monday, January 02, 2006

Covers Rock (Part 1)

This week I'm going to be posting songs that either influenced or were covered by the Clash. I stole the idea from this guy but I didn't like the order of the songs on his disc. I decided to put the songs in approximate order that the Clash covered them. It made more sense to me and I think the songs flow pretty well too.

I Fought The Law wasn't released until THE COST OF LIVING EP came out in '79 but it's a good opener and the Clash probably played it live early on. Move it up to song number 4 if you want to be a purist.

"Hope you all know Junior Murvin, you should hear Junior Murvin sing that tune. Junior Murvin can sing in a voice as high as that roof." - Joe Strummer, September 21, 1979. Next up is a Lee 'Scratch' Perry dub mix of "Police & Thieves"

The Clash's cover of Blitzkrieg Bop is only available on bootlegs and a promo disc that came out in 1999.

In my opinion, The Clash's cover of Pressure Drop doesn't some close to the original version by Toots & The Maytals.

There's more to come!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snakey -

Lester Bangs had a great piece on The Clash in Carbuerator Dung. Probably the only artist whose ass he kissed.

6stringrazor

7/1/06 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter