Thursday, February 02, 2006

Another mystery record

Last weekend, I was flipping through my unfiled singles looking for the Premiers 45 that I posted the other day. Flipping by this one, I realized that I don’t know anything about it. Not only did I not remember where this record came from or when I got it. I didn’t even know what it sounded like so I played it. And it’s pretty good. Good enough that I would’ve remembered hearing it before. The best part is when he loses it about a minute and a half in and the band all stop to watch. Mamou namechecks Otis Redding on the fadeout which makes me think the record came out in ’68. The flip isn’t as good but Benny Hill would approve.

I tried to find out more Jimmy Mamou online. There is a bunch of stuff out there but none of it mentions this record. First there is a blues guitarist from San Francisco that owns a blues club in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. This could be his record, he was playing as far back as the early sixties. Also, he spelled his name Jimi Mamou sometimes.

Then there is this evangelist guy named Jimmy Mamou. Apparently he was in a band and jammed with Jimi Hendrix before he got religion. So which one did “Funky Love”? It seems unlikely that they are the same Jimmy Mamou. Would a guy that does prison revivals with the Billy Graham organization open a bar in Mexico?

And finally, I really don’t pay much attention to runout grooves but I was busy when the record ended didn't pick the needle up right away. This one sounded good. Maybe I’ll send it to the Tall Dwarfs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter