Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Now what does that mean?

By request, here’s some live R.E.M. stuff from a few old singles. Some of the words are a little bit easier to hear and understand than the studio versions if you care about that sort of stuff.

The first two songs are from the 12” of “(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville”. The songs were recorded live to cassette in Paris France on April 20, 1984.

Next up are a couple songs recorded 2 months later in Seattle, Washington. The whole was recorded for a radio show called the Source. I remember hearing the concert when it was broadcast on Rock 105 in Chattanooga but I wasn’t smart enough to record it so I was glad when these b-sides came out. “Catapult” was on the back of the “Rockville” 7” and “Driver 8” was one the “Wendell Gee” 12” b-sides.

These songs were left off of the DEAD LETTER OFFICE b-side compilation, probably because there wasn’t enough room on the vinyl. The CD version had the CHRONIC TOWN EP included as bonus tracks. There was another singles collection a few years ago that had one or two of these songs, I don’t have it or remember which songs. Or what the CD was called. I heard that all of R.E.M.’s IRS albums are going to get deee-luxe reissues, these songs will probably show up then. And maybe the Hib-Tone version of “Sitting Still”, I hope.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know this already, but the IRS albums have been reissued in Europe, with all of the b-sides for the corresponding singles appended as bonus tracks. Every stray b-side and rarity was included, as far as I can tell, even "All I Have to Do is Dream" from the -Athens GA: Inside Out- movie. I have all six -- I don't know what this domestic reissue program is gonna include, but I can't imagine there being anything left that would compel me to buy them now that I have all of the European versions.

Any idea what these new reissues are going to be like, and when they'll be out?


James

8/3/06 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap. I forgot - neither side of the Hib-Tone single were included in the IRS:Vintage Years reissues (the European sets I was writing about). So, there's that.

I think that singles collection was titled something very generic, like "The Best of R.E.M." There was also a strange collection of I.R.S. b-sides and whatnot, titled -From the Attic-, which was released a couple of years ago, with no advertising or promotion, as far as I can tell. I didn't even know that one existed until Pitchfork ran a review.

James

8/3/06 8:26 PM  
Blogger KS said...

The rumor I heard is that all of the IRS releases are going to be done as two disc sets. One disc with the original LP and a disc of b-sides, rarities and alternate versions. Kinda like the great Go-Betweens re-issues.

I used to have a cassette that a friend gave me that had a live version of "Boxcars". I don't know where that came from but I'd like to hear it again. I don't even know where that tape went to.

9/3/06 10:45 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Crap. I forgot too! When I was writing the post, I looked for any information about the re-issues and I couldn't find anything. Not on remhq.com or any of the fan sites I looked at. But I do remember reading about the re-issues somewhere. The first one is supposed to be LIFES RICH PAGEANT. Anybody know if it's true?

9/3/06 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this --

http://www.remison.com/news/news.php?mode=1&id=508

I have no idea how accurate it is. For one thing, IRS doesn't exist anymore, and their catalog is now owned by EMI, last I heard. But any R.E.M. reissues will probably bear the IRS label, I guess. No source is cited for this news item, though. And, heck, where are those Replacements reissues Rykodisc promised?

James

9/3/06 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter