Thursday, September 14, 2006

"Sleepwalk" Guitars

The only reason I picked up this record is the because of another album on another label.

THE “SENSATIONAL” GUITARS OF DAN & DALE PLAY BATMAN & ROBIN is a legendary record. Dan & Dale were actually members of Sun Ra’s Arkestra and The Blues Project (exactly who played is in dispute - Al Kooper says he wasn't there) picking up some pocket money in a session produced by Tom Wilson. It’s a very good record.

So when I saw this copy of THE "SLEEPWALK" GUITARS OF DAN & DALE: WILLOW WEEP FOR ME in the dollar bin, I grabbed it. I didn’t know who played on the record but I decided to take a chance on it. Maybe it was another Arkestra/Blues Project thing, maybe it was someone else.

It’s someone else. I don’t know who this is. Maybe it really is a couple of guys named Dan & Dale. Or maybe it's Santo & Johnny, that’s who I would say it was if I only heard the songs and didn’t know who it was playing. They’re the only act I can compare this record too. It’s got that same dreamy, lazy acoustic/slide sound. If you like “Sleepwalk” at all, you’ll like this. One of the songs even has the same beginning that will fool you into thinking it's "Sleepwalk".

There are at least 11 Dan & Dale LPs (and maybe some 45s) that I know of. All of them are on the Diplomat label except for the BATMAN & ROBIN record. That one is on Tifton records.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter