Friday, October 12, 2007

You're driving me insane

Finally, here are the Pickwick era songs that are definitely Lou Reed.

The first two are from an LP called Soundsville. This album is built around the sounds coming from music hotspots around the world as played by New York session musicians. This is what England sounds like. Motorcycles & hot rods aren’t cities but they both got a song anyway.

In 1967, the motorcycle song showed up on a pretty good album called OUT OF SIGHT on the Design label. Other acts on the LP include Lou Rawls, Paul Revere & The Raiders and Joe Tex.

Somebody at Pickwick Records actually decided that “Do The Ostrich” had potential to be a hit record and released the song as a single. The label told Reed to hire a backing band and play to promo dates. One of the guys that showed up was a bass player named John Cale. Reed and Cale would go on to make a few other records together.

The best of this bunch though is this song that Lou Reed wrote but never recorded. “Why Don’t You Smile Now?” was recorded by some guys that Reed met while he was in school at Syracuse. The band included future Holy Modal Rounder Peter Stampfel and Mike Esposito, soon to join the Blues Magoos. A copy of the All-Night Workers record found its way to England where the mighty Downliners Sect recorded a version of the song in 1966.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dgrador said...

Nice series, thank you!

12/10/07 2:29 PM  
Blogger KS said...

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

13/10/07 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could be enjoying it also. Can't you please leave the links up a bit longer so folks have a chance to hear the songs. I can't have the time to follow your blog every single day.
Collin

22/10/07 2:04 AM  
Blogger KS said...

I leave the songs up for a minimum of seven days. The songs on this post were up until the morning of the 21st.

I do not have unlimited server space available to leave songs up indefinitely. I would not be able to post new songs if I left the old ones up for a long period of time. Seven days seems to be a reasonable amout of time. Yours is the first complaint I've had in almost three years.

I will repost the songs when I get a chance. I do have plans to post some new stuff this week so it might be a while.

22/10/07 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter