Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am the magnificent!

The first time I played "Double Barrel", I thought it was the dub side of the record. Nope. It's not. It's not even a dub version - that's the actual vocal recorded for the record. Here's a video:


I had never heard this record before I found it in a stack of singles at a flea market. It was a surprise when I played it because I really wasn't expecting to find a ska 45 at a flea market in Athens, Alabama. Later on I found out that "Double Barrel" was a top twenty hit in 1971. When I found a copy of the LP, I was pleasantly surprised to find that other songs on the LP sound like an island version of the Hi Rhythm Section or Booker T. & The MGs. Maybe it's not so surprising to find a ska record in North Alabama.

Dave and Ansell Collins weren't brothers. Dave's real surname is Barker, he had previously sung for the Techniques and worked with Lee "Scratch" Perry, recording a solo LP and performing on some Wailers tracks. He's a pretty good singer. Ansell Collins played keyboards in many bands including backing Sugar Minott & Jimmy Cliff.

This record was also the recording debut of Sly Dunbar, the drum playing half of Sly & Robbie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter