Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Some advice

Never pass up a Buck Owens record. I got Buck’s BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER album out of the dollar bin last week and I’ve already listened to it a half dozen times. Buck Owens jumped on the folk-rock bandwagon a few years too late with this 1971 LP but the strangely peppy version of “I Am A Rock” was worth the wait. Owens was always a rocker (the Beatles thought so); he even cut some good rockabilly songs as Corky Jones. Buck wrote a sorta pro-hippie song too.

There are a couple other Paul Simon songs but those two are not as good as Owens’ original songs. English majors might disagree but I think this one is as good a song as anything Simon ever wrote. The Buckaroos had a top 10 hit with the title song. I don’t like it very much.

There’s a Dylan cover and it’s one of Bob’s best songs, Buck doesn’t seem too comfortable with the words. He sings them anyway and makes up some of his own.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought "Corky Jones" was George Jones, but I could be wrong. Did Buck ever record a John Fogerty tune? I'd guess CCR owe him a bigger debt than any rock band aside from the Beatles.

14/9/05 9:30 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Buck was Corky Jones. George recorded as Thumper Jones. I've got some of the Corky Jones records, I'll post them when I get a chance.

14/9/05 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Never pass up a Buck Owens record."

Boy, you said it! It took me some time to learn this, but after passing on a bunch, and eventually hearing them, I learned not to judge his work by either crappy artwork, obscure titles, or '70s release dates.

The man was a finely-tuned music-makin' MACHINE!

15/9/05 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went hog wild for buck about a year ago and have since purchased every single one of his LPs on vinyl, along with some 7"s and EPs. You literally cannot go wrong.
I don't think he has recorded any John Fogerty tunes, but I'll have to double check his late '70s and 80s stuff.

20/9/05 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter