Friday, December 09, 2005

Everybody’s Got Something To Hide

The Feelies really need to have some sort of re-issue series or at least a rarities compilation. If the Trypes EP is included, there would be enough b-sides and rarities for a full disc. If Oh-Ok can get a reissue, why shouldn’t the Feelies?

Here’s a couple of songs from the “Higher Ground” 12” that came out in 1988. The first is a cover of “Egyptian Reggae” that’s almost as innocuous as Jonathan Richman’s original. And then there’s this hyper cover of “Everybody’s Got Something To Hide (Except Me & My Monkey)”. Talk about perpetual nervousness! The Feelies also did a slightly more reserved cover of this song on their first LP back in 1980. That’s when they had Anton Fier on drums. Both of these were recorded live at The Roxy in Los Angeles in 1987.

And here’s two more songs from another 1988 12”. First up is an edited version of “Away.” If you like it, there’s a longer version on the ONLY LIFE album. You probably have a copy of that already, don’t you? The B-side is a terrific cover of Patti Smith’s “Dancing Barefoot.” I think this was included on some soundtrack or comp a few years ago but I may be wrong about that.

I got both of these records from Tim Lee outside a bar in Chattanooga back in 1989. Tim was playing bass for the Swimming Pool Q’s at the time. After the show, I started asking him questions about the Windbreakers and Beat Temptation. I guess he liked that because he told me that he had a box of records out in the van and asked if I wanted any. I’ve never been one to turn down records so I said “sure!” I thought I was going to get a copy of Lee’s solo record or maybe something by the Windbreakers. Tim must’ve seen the look on my face when he pulled out a whole box of Feelies 12” singles. He explained that Coyote had sent him a bunch of records when they went out of business so he was getting rid of them wherever he could. Thanks Tim!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hector Savage said...

There are a series of re-issues in the works for 2006. I think they're coming out on Bar/None.

10/12/05 9:50 AM  
Blogger KS said...

Thanks! Tim is a nice guy. He makes good records too.

And the Feelies re-issues are GREAT news.

11/12/05 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter