Thursday, December 28, 2006

An exotic love ritual for orchestra

I meant to post this record before Christmas but never got time to write it up. PAGAN FESTIVAL fits the holidays, doesn’t it?

PAGAN FESTIVAL: AN EXOTIC LOVE RITUAL FOR ORCHESTRA was Columbia’s exotica cash-in. It’s a terrific record that sounds like a soundtrack for a jungle movie. Which makes sense, composer Dominic Frontiere was a legendary jazz accordionist hoping to get soundtrack work from the studios.

After this LP, he did soundtracks for The Outer Limits, The F.B.I. and The Rat Patrol. His greatest hit is probably the theme from “Hang ‘Em High” which was a hit for Booker T & The MGs. Frontiere later wrote & arranged songs for Chicago and The Tubes too.

Temple Of Suicide” is the best song on PAGAN FESTIVAL, “Moon Goddess” is a close second. I like the background vocals.

I’m not sure where I got this record. I’ve had it for years. It's got a shiny silver cover but it's still ugly.

Roy Montgomery’s TEMPLE IV album usually comes out after after I play this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dgrador said...

Still on my first coffee of the morning, was listening to Mano Negra live just before this. My brain should be suitably warped for my gig tonight.

30/12/06 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter