Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Cafe Des Moines

This song takes me straight back to the fall of 1989. It was on the radio all the time when I was living in Tuscaloosa. I loved it back then but it has not aged well. The flip sounds better now than it did 15 years ago, which is strange because I didn’t like it very much back then.

The band was from either Starkville or Jackson, Mississippi. I never knew for sure which one it really was.

I think the band had pretty much dissolved by the time the record came out. I didn’t know very much about the band back then. A few years later, I found out where the drummer went. Glen Graham left Mississippi joined a band called Blind Melon that you may have heard on the radio a few times in 1995.

Also, Cafe Des Moines had a guitarist that doesn't appear on this record that went on to play in a few bands too. After the band broke up, he moved to North Carolina and played guitar in a band called Metal Flake Mother. When that band broke up, he taught his girlfriend how to play music and they started the Squirrel Nut Zippers. And Jimbo Mathus has done even better stuff since then. He’s moved back to Mississippi, started a band and a label, built a studio and got a job playing guitar for Buddy Guy.

1 Comments:

Blogger KS said...

Yeah, I'll try to repost the songs in the next week or so. Thanks for reading!

9/2/07 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter