Monday, February 20, 2006

Yeah, I know it's noisy

But I had to get this record when I found this record at when I found it at a flea market a few years ago. The guy charged me a quarter for this record and Louis Jordan's "That Chick's Too Young Too Fry". I didn’t even have a 78 player at the time but the it was too good a deal to pass up!

The Delta Rhythm Boys were students at Langston University and were the first group to sing gospel style arrangements of secular material and secular versions of gospel favorites. This style made the group very popular in the late thirties and early forties. The group backed up Mildred Bailey, Ella Fitzgerald, Ruth Brown and other singers, they were also in movies with Bing Crosby and Rita Hayworth. Even better, The Delta Rhythm Boys appeared on the Amos & Andy radio show. In 1955, the group traveled to Paris to play a New Year’s Eve show at the Moulin Rouge and ended up staying for a year, eventually they moved to Europe permanently. They continued to perform up to the death of Lee Gaines in 1987. Ex-member Hugh Bryant sang at Gaines funeral, he finished his song and fell dead on the spot.

I posted something about Jimmy Ricks a while back. Ricks said that he decided to become a singer after hearing the Delta Rhythm Boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter