Monday, April 03, 2006

One shot and I'll find peace

The Bickersons started out as a skit with Don Ameche and Frances Langford on the Chase & Sanborn hour in the mid-forties and eventually became a popular radio show and finally a TV series in the fifties. This LP was the first of a pair of LPs that were recorded as part of a Bickersons reunion in ’61 and ‘62.

I didn’t know any of that when I found this LP at a flea market about twenty years ago. I got the record just because Don Ameche was on it. I just knew Ameche from his movies, he started out as a singer and ended up in Hollywood. 1943’s Heaven Can Wait with Gene Tierney is a worth watching.

When I got the record, I listened to it once, didn’t laugh a much so I put the record in a box and forgot about it. Around five years ago I heard that a copy of THE BICKERSONS was on sale for $150 somewhere in New York City. Several weeks after that I remembered that I had a copy of the record and dug through boxes until I found it. I listened to the record again and laughed more than I did the first time I listened to it.

Here’s the whole record. I hope you enjoy it! Try again in ten years if you don't.

Collector’s Choice released a CD of both Bickersons records (also available on Columbia vinyl as THE BICKERSONS REMATCH) in 2003 but I think it’s out of print already. The LPs are all over E-Bay for ten bucks or so. And if you really want more, here’s a whole bunch of radio shows you can download.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter