Tuesday, May 16, 2006

With a soft exploding sound

Of all the ‘lost bands’ of the eighties, the Neats are my favorite. The band started playing in the late 70’s and were hosting basement parties in the band house in 1979-80. The Neats played short strummy guitar songs not unlike what the Clean, Felt or the New South guitar bands were doing at just about the same time.

The Neat’s first release was a song for a local compilation 45 that also featured 3 other Boston bands. The song was very popular in Massachusetts and led to the band playing clubs all over the northeast. I wish I could’ve seen the band back then. There are rumors of a live tape floating around. Anybody got a copy?

In 1982, Richard Harte recorded the Neats and released their debut EP THE MONKEY HEAD’S IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM on his Ace of Hearts label. I love this record, there’s not a bad song on it. I put the whole thing on one side of a C-90 twice just so I wouldn’t have to keep rewinding the tape.

The Neats second LP came out in 1983. It came in a great black & white picture of Neats posters and some chairs. You’re gonna have to take my word for it, I can’t find any pictures online. The only problem is that it’s too short. There’s only nine songs and the average time is 3 minutes. It’s not enough! There was a single with a non-LP b-side.

I’ve heard there was interest from some labels but nothing came from it. Instead the Neats toured. I think they even made it down south a few times but I missed ‘em.

And that was it for 4 years. The bands didn’t make another record until 1987. The band that made CRASH AT CRUSH and BLUES END BLUE was very different from the ’81-’82 Neats. Not bad but not what I wanted to hear. Oh well. I’ve still got the records.

Somebody needs to put the Neats ’80-’83 records out on CD. Maybe with some unreleased songs or the live stuff. I’m surprised that the Neats weren’t included on the CHILDREN OF NUGGETS box. You can read a bit more about the Neats here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have the records, why not make
Mp3 copy's of them??
All you need is a reasonable turntable, the line input on your computer, Free Mp3 recording software
and a $ 1.00 (50p) patch-cord.
Share the rare!

17/6/06 2:58 PM  
Blogger KS said...

Errrr, what have I been doing for the last eighteen months?

Stick around for a few days and I may post another rare one.

17/6/06 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which record has "Tear My soul" on it?
I can't seem to find it anywhere----several friends and I had it back in the day (and this is in Alabama, mind you), but no copies have survived all the band breakups, moves, girlfriend breakups, and divorces.
Help?

19/12/08 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crash at Crush". Occassionally, there are LP's available on eBay. I don't recall them releasing cassettes or CD versions of their albums until "Blues End Blue" a year or so later.

29/12/09 5:25 PM  
Blogger KS said...

I'm not updating anymore. Send me your e-mail address and I'll contact you.

24/9/10 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter