Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Found all the parts

For me, this record signaled the end of Cheap Trick’s great years. The band still did some good stuff after 1980 but they never made another album as good as anything they did before this 10” was released.

Side one is two live (well…) songs. One of them - “Can’t Hold On” - is from the Tokyo shows that were recorded for the band’s breakthrough AT BUDOKAN album. The other live song is a cover of “Day Tripper” 'recorded' on Cheap Trick’s 1979 North American tour. It was really recorded in a New York studio.

The two studio songs are outtakes from ’76-’77 recording sessions with Jack Douglas, probably for the first Cheap Trick album. “Such A Good Girl” would have fit in well on the LP. “Take Me, I’m Yours” drags and would’ve slowed the LP down too much. I imagine both songs were left off for time reasons. Most late seventies LPs were 30 to 35 minutes long.

Interestingly, neither of the studio songs have ever been included on any Cheap Trick compilations. I wonder why? “Such A Good Girl” is a very good song, it’s one of my favorites by the group. The two songs from the live side of the record have been comped since the EP came out.

The 10” was also the first release in Epic’s Nu-Disk series. There were others but this one and BLACK MARKET CLASH were the only ones to get re-issued as Old-Disk 12” vinyl. The Cheap Trick record also came with a bonus 7” single of a song called “Everything Works If You Let It”. My copy was cracked. It was OK, I didn’t care much for the song anyway.

3 Comments:

Blogger Collin said...

The Nu-Disk stuff is weird, if, at times compelling. The Continentals Nu-Disk is pretty good commercial new wave power pop, Propaganda is nifty new wave synth, wish I could say the same about New Musik or Jona Lewie (who?). Even the Shakin' Stevens disc is good - dunno who decided on who ended up on Nu Disk - weird conglomeration of styles

28/3/07 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The entire "Found All The Parts" EP is now on the new remastered "All Shook Up" CD as bonus tracks.

3/4/07 1:19 AM  
Blogger KS said...

I did not know that. Thanks for the information. I did check Allmusic.com to see if the songs were available anywhere. They are as up-to-date as I am. One of these days I'll learn to not use them for research.

3/4/07 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter