Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I/Don't come home a'drinkin'

I used take the husband’s side whenever I heard Loretta Lynn’s “Don’t Come Home A’Drinkin’ (With Lovin’ On Your Mind)”. I figured the guy was just out having a few drinks with his friends.

Then I heard Jack Webb’s answer record. I'm on Loretta's side now. Jack’s the kind of no-good loser that gives drunks a bad name. His excuse is that he stays out drinking because she’s exhausted from doing housework all day. That's the best he can do? Jack is lucky that Loretta is asleep instead of waiting for him at the door. Maybe that’s where the b-side comes from.

Jack should take his namesake’s advice.

Jack Webb was a pseudonym taken by Loretta Lynn’s brother Jay Lee Webb for his first 45. Jay Lee also played in her band and recorded several albums for Decca in the late sixties. Webb died in 1996.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter