Thursday, April 06, 2006

Patterns

This album has been spending a lot of time on the record player lately. Then I remembered that it’s been a while since I posted any jazz stuff so here’s an album by The Modern Jazz Quartet.

I think this 1960 record is the only release that the Modern Jazz Quartet had on United Artists Records. It’s a good one. The music was written for a movie called Odds Against Tomorrow starring Robert Ryan and Harry Belafonte. I’ve never seen the movie but it looks like it’s a good film.

One thing I like about the music is that almost every note is a short one. There are no vocals, horns, strings or guitars on the album, it’s only piano, vibes, bass and drums, even the cymbals are kept to a minimum. Pianist John Lewis wrote and arranged all six songs. “Skating In Central Park” is a classic.

United Artists went out of business before the dawn of the digital era so PATTERNS has never been on CD. In 1990, Blue Note Records released the record on a CD called ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW. Same songs, different name, different cover. It’s out of print too but you can find used copies cheap if you look around.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link to this file has expired. I just stumbled on your blog (I read lots of music blogs, so I'm always finding new ones), and I've been looking for this record forever. Is there anyway you could repost a new link? If you're too busy, I understand. Just thought I'd ask. . .

7/6/06 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter