Thursday, January 25, 2007

He's an indie star

I’ve never known for sure this song is a well meaning joke or sharp jab. I think it’s funny either way but it’s not gonna be funny at all if you’ve never heard of Mark Robinson. The short lounge bit at the end of the song is a nod to Robinson’s Sammy Davis Jr. obsession.

Side two is a cover of an Unrest song. The original is better. And because the record is a joke about the guy that led Unrest, there is an alternate version of the A-side.

I’d never heard of the Graverobbers before I got this record in 1992 and I’ve heard very little since then but apparently the band was well regarded in Washington DC. Karl Straub, who led the band and wrote “Mark Robinson”, is still playing solo and in several DC bands. Straub also played guitar in Butch Willis' band in the early 90’s. The band’s other guitarist was Mark Robinson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter