Thursday, March 08, 2007

Yet another Popes update

Correspondent Doug S. reports that last week's Public Good in was well recieved and the Public Good was asked back. So if you're in Washington DC on St. Patrick's Day, crawl over to the Grog & Tankard. Have fun!

Also, Doug S. sent me a copy of the Stumble 45! Yeah Doug! Stumble is the band that the ex-Popes started in Atlanta after the dissolution of the first band. It's a fine record. The songs still sound Popes-ish of course and I'm not really sure what the songs are about. I hear some Big Dipper in there too. I wonder where that came from? The band seems to have picked up a few effects pedals along with the new name. These guys should have been a much bigger band.

Doug released the single on his Rockamundo label. Good job! I don't remember seeing the 45 back when it came out but I would've bought a copy. Esp. if I had known they used to be the Popes.

Oh yeah, the drummer was named Stumble too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ks. And thanks for this blog, which is allowing me to revisit some really wonderful times.

The reason you don't remember seeing the Stumble 7" is that Rockamundo had a great name, cool bands, and no distribution. We also put out 7"s from a great Australian band called Magic Dirt and the amazing and lamented Silkworm (check out Bottomless Pit - Tim and Andy's new band), along with a major-label funded ep from the Providence band Scarce, who were the subject of an incredible bidding war back in the mid 90's and then disappeared. Just as we were getting ready to "release" a 7" from the then-members of Wilco other than Jeff (Ken, Jay, John), a band called Courtesy Move, we lost our energy and faded away. I still have the stamp we created for the logo, and contend Rockamundo, if nothing else, is one of the best label names ever. My friend Marc, who worked at Relativity then and was the third member of the team with me and Glenn B, thought of the name when he saw a horse named Rockamundo race. Don't think he won.

10/3/07 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Counter